2013-01-22

Sunday, April 20, 2014

January 21, 2013 - 4:39pm

THE INSTITUTION: Preview of Personal Safety Education Workshop

BY AMRUTHA SIVAKUMAR

On Thursday evening, the Women’s Issues Commission and the Campus Safety Commission of the University of Michigan’s Central Student Government will come together to host an interactive and free Personal Safety Education Workshop from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the CSG Chambers of the Michigan Union.

Instructed by Katy Mattingly, Chair of the Self-Defense Subcommittee of the Student Safety Work Group, this event will educate students about personal safety strategies and expose students to the most common crimes that take place on campus and help students develop strategies to tackle them.

LSA freshman Irene Suh, chair of the Women’s Issues Commission, acknowledged that in light of the recent sexual assault incidents on campus and negative student reactions towards campus safety, a workshop of this nature would be one wa CSG could better equip and empower students.

“It is not just about learning how to protect yourself or how to make yourself look confident but it is also about how to talk to someone who has been making uncomfortable advances on you,” Suh said. “(It is what to do when) you don’t feel safe but you don’t want to make it seem like you feel uncomfortable.”

Follow Amrutha Sivakumar on Twitter at @xamrutha and Follow The Institution on Twitter at @TMDInstitution.

|