Sunday, November 23, 2014

Weekend Roundup: St. Patrick's Day events and specials

By Alicia Adamczyk, Weekend Roundup Editor

This weekend, Ann Arbor will be (pub) crawling with drink and food specials for St. Patrick’s Day. While green beer will be a staple at fraternities across campus, bars and restaurants are also offering St. Paddy’s-inspired fare to get you in the Irish spirit of the day. If you’re over 21, these are for you. If you’re looking for something else this weekend, skip ahead to the Campus Events section.

Good Time Charley's

A self-described “U of M Landmark,” Charley’s doesn’t exactly need publicity for its specials and will be an obvious choice for many students this weekend.

Lauren Irvine, a bartender at Charley’s, said Irish Car Bombs, Dirty Girl Scout shots and Dublin Iced Tea will be on special Monday. Irvine recommends the Irish Car Bomb.

Dominick's

Dominick’s, a favorite for students and Ann Arbor residents in the warmer months of the year, reopened Monday. Students yearning for the homemade sangria are in luck: University alum Olivia Horn, who works at Dominick’s, suggested students order the Green Sangria, a staple of the establishment’s.

Conor O'Neills

If you’re in the mood for an authentic Irish experience, head to Conor O’Neills on Main Street, where there will be a live Irish music — including musicians playing the bag pipes — all day, starting at 7 a.m. and accompanied by traditional Irish dancing. As always, there will be plenty of Guinness to go around.

Arbor Brewing Company

Arbor Brewing Company will also open at 7 a.m. with a special breakfast menu and happy hour until 11 a.m. There are five different beers on tap and no cover all day.

Campus Events

And if you’re under 21 or the bars aren’t your scene, there are plenty of other events to celebrate over the weekend:

Friday, March 14

Innovators and Best: A Student Entrepreneurship Panel
The Michigan Daily and the Michigan Association of Communication Studies are hosting an entrepreneurship panel beginning at 5 p.m. at 420 Maynard Street.

Wild Wild UMix
Yee-haw! The Center for Campus Involvement will have Western-themed inflatable activities at this week’s UMix, beginning at 10 p.m. in the Union.

Saturday, March 15

TEDxUofM 2014
The theme of this year’s TEDxUofM event is Against the Grain. It begins at 9:30 a.m. at the Power Center for the Performing Arts. .

Shamrock It!
There will be a free late-night breakfast buffet in the Michigan Union, trivia activities and a screening of “Frozen.” The event lasts from 9 p.m. to midnight.

Sunday, March 16

Men’s Basketball Big Ten Championship
Root for the Maize and Blue (assuming Michigan wins on Friday and Saturday) at the Big Ten Championship this weekend. .

Monday, March 17

Count Your Luck and Stay in the Blue
As part of its Stay in the Blue program, which promotes responsible drinking habits, the University will have green donuts, water and Stay in Blue giveaways.

Correction Appended: A previous version of this article misspelled Dominick's.

|