TV/New Media

Monday, April 21, 2014

Kayla Upadhyaya: 'Coven' cursed with confusing racial politics

By Kayla Upadhyaya, Daily TV/New Media Columnist
Published December 4, 2013

A lot of critics and pop culture dissectors have been trying to make sense of the racial themes in FX’s “American Horror Story: Coven.” When I went to jot down my own thoughts, I was left with a jumbled mess.

Set in present-day New Orleans and peppered with flashbacks to antebellum New Orleans, race has been a part of the show’s thematic fabric since the pilot’s harrowing opening scene. Kathy Bates’s Madame LaLaurie, a fictionalized rendering of the real-life serial killer who tortured and killed her slaves, brutalizes a Black man she suspects of sleeping with her daughter. We’re shown gratuitous shots of deformed and bloodied victims — her seemingly boundaryless barbarity. It’s slavery as torture-porn. It’s fucked up. A few weeks after I saw the premiere, “12 Years a Slave” brought me face-to-face with the depth of those indelible lacerations against Black bodies. “Coven” doesn’t confront that depth or evoke the realness of slavery’s violence. Ryan Murphy just wants to scare you.

Soon, we jump to the present and meet Fiona Goode, the Supreme (Jessica Lange, in all her glory,) aka the Head Witch In Charge of a powerful, albeit dwindling, coven of witches. We also meet voodoo queen Marie Laveau (Angela Bassett, in all her glory), an immortal witch leader of a separate tribe. With the exception of Queenie, a young witch played by Gabourey Sidibe, Fiona’s coven is entirely white, while Laveau belongs to a long-standing line of Black witches. “Coven,” it would seem, is Murphy and co-creator Brad Falchuk’s attempt at tackling race.

But what is “Coven” trying to say about race? With its paradoxical messages and straight-up misguided convictions, figuring that out is about as easy as diffusing a bomb while blindfolded … on rollerblades.

Ryan Murphy has always been fascinated by oppressed groups. “Glee” began as a series for outcasts. The last “AHS” chapter, “Asylum,” doled out a searing critique of the Catholic Church and a horrifying glimpse at the violence of homophobia. On “Coven,” the witches are women, and themes of power, sexism and ageism ooze throughout. The show wants so desperately to comment on race and subjugation and privilege, but it seems like no one in the writers room really thought beyond “let’s place white witches and Black witches in opposition to each other and stir it all up with some magic and awesome ladies.”

“Coven” has been lauded for its diversity, something previous “AHS” tales lacked. Sidibe and Bassett — though both unfortunately only billed as “special guest stars” — have been given a space on a network with glaring racial imbalance. Representations of women of color on television are on the rise, but most scripted television is still overwhelmingly white. As sad as this statement is, it’s remarkable to be able to tune in every week and see Bassett — a woman who mainstream television would typically sideline due to her race and age — give a hell of a performance.

Representation is important, but at what cost? Look no further than Laveau’s “voodoo queen” epithet, and it’s clear that “Coven” ’s representations of Black women aren’t without problems.

What exactly are the roots of the ongoing war between Laveau and Fiona? For Laveau, they’re undeniably founded in race and privilege. In her eyes, the white witches have co-opted and appropriated her community’s magic. They have wielded their privilege for centuries, helping no one but their own. Where were they when Laveau was witnessing Black families torn apart and tormented by anti-integration violence and lynchings? Laveau is right to guard her coven’s secrets, right to deny Fiona the answer to her relentless hunt for eternal life. Fiona and her coven have done nothing to help her or earn her trust over the years. Why should she give them anything?

Fiona, on the other hand, frames her rivalry with Laveau in a way that obscures racial difference. She throws insults at Laveau entrenched in class.