Fine Arts

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Notebook: Morticia and Gomez Addams for best couple on the silver screen

By Rebecca Godwin, Daily Arts Writer

Everyone has his or her favorite film couple. For some, Jack and Rose from “Titanic” represent the perfect one. For others, Noah and Allie from “The Notebook” are their ideal romantic couple. But for me, no couple comes close to matching the perfection that is Gomez and Morticia Addams.

Because there have been so many adaptations of the Addams family, including a TV show, multiple movies and, most recently, a Broadway musical, let me clarify that the Gomez and Morticia I’m speaking about are the pair played by the late Raúl Juliá and the wonderful Anjelica Huston from the 1991 movie, “The Addams Family” and the 1993 sequel, “Addams Family Values.”

For anyone who is unfamiliar with any of the various versions of the Addams family, there is no real way to explain the kooky and altogether spooky bunch. If you have a dark sense of humor, you will love the two films, which are undoubtedly Halloween classics.

Though the movies are full of comedy and a wonderful cast, including a young Christina Ricci (“Sleepy Hollow”) and Christopher Lloyd (“Back to the Future”), the chemistry between Juliá and Huston is what keeps me coming back year after year. If you look past their creepy hobbies and unusual lifestyles, the pair is a wonderful representation of what a good couple should be.

For one, they are completely and totally devoted to one another in a way not seen in most movies and TV shows. There is literally nothing they wouldn’t do for each other because their love is that strong. No sacrifice is too big, and they make it painfully obvious on multiple occasions that they would rather die together then spend one day alone.

I realize this isn’t all that unusual for the pair, but for other couples such a declaration isn’t that easy. I’m looking at you Rose — everyone knows that there was plenty of room for Jack on that piece of wood if you had just stopped being selfish and moved over.

Secondly, they’re ridiculously attracted to each other, even after who knows how many years of marriage and several kids. And their love life, while most likely bizarre, is also most likely very active. That really is unusual for TV shows and movies today; most comedies prefer to show the married couple as haggard and run-down after having kids, but that isn’t even close to being the case for Gomez and Morticia. Despite the fact that the two films were aimed at children, Juliá and Huston can barely keep their hands off each other. They even get hilariously jealous if a stranger flirts with one of them.

And lastly, they’re wonderful and involved parents. They are interested in their children’s lives and encourage spending time as a family. When they believe that Wednesday and Pugsley want to go to summer camp, Gomez and Morticia are very supportive, even though they don’t understand the appeal.

Behind their outer weirdness, Gomez and Morticia make an incredible couple because they each bring so much to the table. Gomez is charming, devoted to his wife, finds her to be the most beautiful woman in the world, loves his children — and he’s a snazzy dresser. Where can I find a guy with those qualities?

And Morticia is as equally devoted to her husband, finds him as attractive, dotes upon her children and truly rocks the LBD. So you can keep your Scarlett O’Haras and Rhett Butlers, your Sandys and Dannys. Gomez and Morticia will always be the best film couple.