Throughout the creation of the so-called “Marvel Cinematic Universe,” not one person has ever said, at least as far as I know, that Captain America is their favorite Avenger. That’s probably due to his boy scout, good guy mentality — in other words, Cap lacks the sardonic wit of Tony Stark, the omnipotence plus anachronistic misplacement of Thor and the fear and sincerity of Bruce Banner.

A

“Captain America: The Winter Soldier”
Disney
April 4

That will all change come Spring 2014 with “Captain America: The Winter Soldier”.

Picking up where “The Avengers” left off, Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) is still trying to find his place in the world when a new mysterious enemy, the titular Winter Soldier, threatens the United States, the world … something. We don’t find out what’s being threatened, the Winter Soldier’s identity (though if you know your comic book lore, you know exactly who it is) or really anything about the plot — and that’s great. In this modern world where so many trailers give away half the movie, it’s nice to know that directors Anthony and Joe Russo are confident enough in their film to keep it secret.

What we do get is a bit of humor, political intrigue, moral questioning, good old-fashioned U.S.-Soviet throwdown action and a ton of badassery. The last 10 seconds of the trailer feature one of the simplest yet coolest action sequences in recent memory.

As the directors have stated, 1970s political thrillers inspired the film, so think “The Manchurian Candidate” injected with Super Soldier Serum. Get ready for this one; it’s going to be a hell of a ride. And if you’re still not convinced, Robert Redford is in it — need I say more?