The Statement

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Visual Statement: Journeys

(Teresa Mathew/Daily) Buy this photo

BY MICHIGAN DAILY PHOTO STAFF

Click on a photo to view the corresponding slideshow.

Adam Glanzman

This winter break I had the opportunity to transverse the country and take photos along the way. From Ann Arbor to Tempe to Key Largo to New York City, I met a multitude of people and shot in extremely varying weather conditions. In Florida I had the pleasure of meeting a Swedish family who enjoyed fishing along the pier, and in Tempe I met photographer from across the country who were in town photographing the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl. I am looking forward to this coming semester and making photos around Ann Arbor.

Paul Sherman

I have lived in Seattle for most of my life. Since I have moved outside of the state, conversations about my hometown usually start with Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon, the Seahawks, etc. People are familiar with the music (Macklemore, Pearl Jam, Jimi Hendrix, etc.). People know Pike Place Market and the Space Needle. What most do not realize is that there is more to Seattle. The city has a strong public art scene. From Gas Works Park to the Fremont Troll to Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum, I always amazed by the variety of art around the city.

But what is usually left out of my conversations about the Northwest is Portland, OR. I have visited Portland many times and I have always appreciated the value that’s placed on food, extending from the fancier restaurants in areas such as the Pearl District to the food carts spread throughout the city. The architecture and theater such as the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall adds to the distinct feel. What makes Portland great is the fact it is more of a walk-able city than Seattle, which is augmented by the smaller parks wedged in between buildings such as Tanner Springs Park. Even during the gray and rainy days the Northwest offers, I still walked around to see a large majority of the city. We’re still upset about the Sonics leaving for Oklahoma City in 2008, but we still enjoy the Trailblazers (somewhat).

Teresa Mathew

A native California girl, my version of winter involves sun, not snow. So when my father suggested we go to Argentina over winter break to climb a glacier, I was a little dubious. If I wanted to trek over heaps of frozen ice and snow I could just try to get to my house from Central Campus at almost any point during second semester.

But curiosity prevailed, and after landing in El Calafate, a town in southern Argentina, my family and I took a boat over to the Perito Moreno Glacier. When we had ascended to the base point we were given cramp-ons to attach to our shoes, steel metal rods with spikes at the bottom in order to keep us from falling off the side of the glacier. From there we navigated the twists and turns of south-facing side of the 240 ft glacier as our guide pointed out the natural sediment pools and features of the glacier.

By the end of the trek we had all managed to stay upright and alive, awed by the immense walls of ice that dropped without warning into the lake below. And when I came back to Michigan I was astounded that the second floor of the Detroit airport was somehow still colder than an Argentinain glacer.