No Section

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Orientation Issue 2014

Ruby Wallau/Daily

BY SUMMER STAFF

Published June 12, 2014

Welcome class of 2018!

Coming to the University of Michigan will be a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience. You will meet fascinating people, engage in intellectual growth and challenge yourselves in ways you never thought possible.

However, the road to college can also be littered with obstacles that are difficult to predict, but to which everyone is susceptible. You may have to learn to live with a roommate who has differing beliefs from you. You may have to find new ways to take care of your physical and emotional health. You may find new religious or spiritual beliefs. You may simply have issues picking the right classes. And all of this may occur in just a couple months.

We all faced these challenges, in one way or another, during our first year at Michigan. Some are major, some are minor. Some are laughable and will make great stories later in life. Some, if not most, will make you a stronger person.

As you’ve already chosen your path toward Ann Arbor, we don’t feel the need to explain all the amazing opportunities that you will find once you get here. We don’t need to explain the excitement of football Saturdays or the feeling of happiness you’ll experience walking across the Diag on the first warm day of spring. We don’t need to explain the joy of acing your first University class or the camaraderie you’ll feel when your friends take you on a 2 a.m. trip to BTB to celebrate your accomplishment. These experiences will come naturally and hopefully you will learn to savor them.

Instead, we — the writers, editors and staff of The Michigan Daily — want to provide you with advice, guidance and resources before you make the trip to campus. This is by no means a comprehensive list of campus resources, rather a compilation of information our writers wished they had during their freshman year.

If you gain nothing else from this guide, I hope that you understand you are never alone at Michigan. Whatever struggles you face — be they personal, professional, or academic — the University and your fellow students have developed resources and methods to overcome them. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask. You may be surprised by just how many hands are there to catch you when you fall.

Congratulations on beginning this amazing journey and, if you ever find yourself feeling lost, stop by The Daily’s office at 420 Maynard Street. We’d be more than happy to point you where you need to go.

Sincerely,

Ian Dillingham
Summer Editor in Chief
The Michigan Daily

Read the full issue:

|