The University’s continuing focus on environmental efforts has inspired the implementation of a new program focused on sustainability and green technology by the College of Engineering.

The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is expected to offer the newly developed Environmental Engineering major in the fall, pending approval by a committee of the Presidents Council State Universities of Michigan and by the University’s Board of Regents at their meeting on Thursday. If approved, the University will be the fourth college in the Big Ten to offer such a program.

Engineering Dean David Munson said he is pleased his college will launch the program, which aims to serve the interests of University students and the needs of society.

“With the growing importance of sustainability and environmental protection, a greater need has arisen for degree programs in environmental engineering,” Munson said.

Engineering Prof. Terese Olson led the development of the program and said it is designed to allow students to focus their coursework in the necessary sciences and applied problems that will prepare them for careers in the environmental field.

“In the past, undergraduates interested in environmental engineering were advised to earn a degree in civil or chemical engineering and obtain a partial focus in environmental engineering,” Olson said. “In the new degree, students take courses in areas of environmental sciences including aquatic chemistry, earth science and environmental microbiology that are not required of civil engineers.”

Olson said the new program is multidisciplinary in nature, and students can take a spectrum of classes in engineering and non-engineering departments, such as environmental earth science, environmental health science and urban planning.

She added that the program hopes to create more sustainable urban centers and will equip graduates with the necessary interdisciplinary background to manage the resource limitations and environmental impacts future generations are expected to face.

Olson emphasized that the department is confident the regents and the Presidents Council committee will approve the program.

“The department has a long-standing, highly ranked environmental engineering graduate program and has for many years offered environmental engineering as a focus area within its civil engineering B.S. major,” Olson said. “The department is in a strong position, therefore, to offer this new baccalaureate degree.”

Nancy Love, Rackham’s associate dean of academic programs and initiatives, said the department is excited about addressing the strong demand for environmental engineers, especially given the overlap between environmental engineering and the rapidly growing sustainability movement.

“There will be a large number of retirements in the next decade with significant opportunities for new hires,” Love said. “We are likely to experience a knowledge gap if we don’t fill the pipeline of environmental engineering professionals with a new generation before the major turnover.”

According to Love, environmental engineering is listed as one of the top five professions for expected global growth over the next decade.

Engineering Prof. Steve Wright said he encourages all students who are keen on environmentalism and are technically oriented to consider environmental engineering.

“There is also a trend in which there is an increasing number of departments who are adding an environmental engineering degree program,” Wright said. “And I think it’s definitely about time for Michigan.”

According to Matt Blank, undergraduate student services coordinator for CEE, development of the program started a year and a half ago. Blank said it wouldn’t be difficult for students to double major in civil engineering and environmental engineering due to the commonality between the two programs.

“We’ll have more information closer to May after the degree has been formally approved.”

Engineering senior Nicholas Darde said he believes the new degree program could provide a vast number of career opportunities for graduates and will allow students to delve deeper into courses that will prepare them for their careers.

“There’s environmental consulting that deals with pollutants, renewable energy, emissions and power plants,” Darde said. “There’s a lot that falls under environmental engineering.”

The CEE department will offer an information session on March 16 for interested students.