Saturday, October 25, 2014

LIVE: Hundreds attend as CSG reconsiders divestment resolution

Adam Glanzman/Daily

BY THE MICHIGAN DAILY

Hundreds of students and community members have turned out for Tuesday's Central Student Government meeting, advocating both for and against a divestment resolution permanently tabled by the CSG's Student Assembly last week.

The resolution, supported by Students Allied for Freedom and Equality, a student group that advocates against alleged human rights violations in Palestine, and a number of other student groups on campus, would call on the University to establish a committee to examine its investments in four companies allegedly involved in human rights violations in Palestine. After the Student Assembly failed to vote on the resolution itself, SAFE and its supporters have occupied the CSG chambers on the third floor of the Michigan Union in protest.

After the assembly's vote on March 18 to indefinitely postpone a vote on the resolution, Business senior Michael Proppe, CSG president, said he will call on the assembly to reconsider its decision. The Student Assembly has also scheduled extra time for public comment during today's meeting to hear more about the issues from both supporters and detractors of the resolution.

Opposition to the resolution has been galvanized from across campus, and organizations including Hillel and a number of Greek Life institutions have encouraged their members to attend the meeting and voice their opinions on the resolution.

According to preliminary attendance numbers issued by the University, the Rogel Ballroom is at capacity with 400 people and 200 people are using overflow space in the Pendleton room nearby. Students continue to wait in the hallway outside of the Rogel Ballroom for admission.

For more information on divestment is and a brief history of the sit-in, see The Michigan Daily's explanatory blog here.

A live video stream provided by CSG can be viewed at the link below:

Here is a live stream of Tweets using #UMDivest. They are not edited before publication here: