BY JOSEPH LICHTERMAN
Daily News Reporter
Published September 16, 2010
During its monthly meeting yesterday, the University’s Board of Regents unanimously approved a proposal to install permanent field lights at Michigan Stadium.
More like this
In the past, temporary lighting has been brought in to illuminate the Big House for late afternoon games. With an outdoor hockey game at the stadium slated for December and a football game to be played at night next season, advocates of the project — that has a $1.8 million budget — said the lights would be used fairly regularly.
In an Athletic Department press release, distributed yesterday, Athletic Director David Brandon said the new lights will greatly improve fans’ and players’ experiences at the Big House.
“The addition of permanent lights will improve the quality of viewing experience for our fans,” Brandon wrote in the release. “We take great pride in having the best game day experience in college football and this will further enhance that position.”
The permanent lights will also result in both short-term and long-term dollar savings, according to Brandon’s statement.
“Short term there will be a cost savings on the rental fee associated with bringing in lights for the Big Chill and long-term it eliminates the need for lights to be brought in every time we play a 3:30 p.m. football game,” Brandon wrote.
The lights are expected to be installed in time for the Big Chill at the Big House, which will be played on Dec. 11, according to the press release. And the Sept. 10, 2011 football game against Notre Dame will be the first home night game in the history of the Michigan football program. The University has previously played 33 night games at away or neutral sites.
Darlow, regents condemn character attacks
Regent Julia Darlow (D–Ann Arbor) read a statement at the start of the meeting yesterday condemning character attacks on members of the University community.
“When any member of the University of Michigan community is targeted because of his or her identity, we are all attacked,” Darlow said. “We know that our community will continue to stand together and uphold the University’s values with dignity and respect.”
Andrew Shirvell, a civil service employee in the appellate division of Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox’s office, has come under recent scrutiny for his outspoken criticism of Michigan Student Assembly President Chris Armstrong. In his blog, Shirvell criticizes Armstrong’s alleged “radical homosexual agenda,” The Michigan Daily reported earlier this week.
Shrivell has also protested at several campus events where Armstrong has been present and spoke during the community concern portion of last week’s MSA meeting, during which he called for Armstrong’s resignation.
Darlow hinted toward Shirvell’s actions by saying that these are “recent events that concern (the regents) greatly.”
Regents apprehensively approve new South Quad elevator
The regents tentatively approved a plan to replace the 60-year-old freight elevator in the South Quadrangle Residence Hall with a combination passenger-freight elevator to service the nine-floor residence hall.
Regent Andrew Richner (R–Grosse Pointe Park) raised questions about the plan due to the residence hall’s layout. According to Richner, the kitchen in South Quad is separated from the dining hall by the current elevator exhaust system. Because of this, the new elevator plan may require the exhaust system to be moved, which could incur more costs when the residence hall is renovated.
“We may want to think about (the kitchen) in the context of this elevator repair,” Richner said. “Maybe we could avoid some future cost by incorporating it into this project.”
Tim Slottow, the University’s executive vice president and chief financial officer, and E.





















