BY GJON JUNCAJ AND NICOLE AUERBACH
Daily Sports Writers
Published April 3, 2009
Sophomore forward Aaron Palushaj has decided to forgo his final two years of collegiate eligibility to sign an entry-level contract with the St. Louis Blues, the Athletic Department confirmed to the Daily today.
More like this
In an interview Wednesday morning, Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson said that he didn’t definitively know that any player was leaving early. Berenson has been outspoken in the past about his belief that players should stay for four years so they could earn a degree from the University and fulfill their commitment to the hockey program. He often cites former Wolverine Kevin Porter (2005-08), who won the Hobey Baker award last year for the best player in college hockey, as a prime example of a talented player choosing to play four years in college.
On Wednesday, Berenson talked about the seniors scrambling to sign professional contracts, but said at the time that he’d have to wait and see about the underclassmen.
“I think in the past we’ve learned that players drafted in the first round are always candidates to go early,” said Berenson.
Though Palushaj wasn't a first rounder — he was the Blues' second-round draft pick in the 2007 Draft (No. 44 overall) — it's not surprising that he departed early after a strong sophomore year.
This season, Palushaj led Michigan in scoring with 50 points (13 goals, 37 assists). The Northville native had a 23-71-94 line in 82 career games at Michigan.
When asked on Wednesday if it is difficult to convince an early-departure candidate to stay at Michigan, Berenson said it depends on the player.
"I don't think it has as much to do with their age as it does just the kid, his energy, his perception of everything, his perception of himself as a player," Berenson said. "If a kid needs to be talked into coming to school again, there's something wrong."
Berenson also said that in past situations, he's been one of the last people informed of a player's departure.
Palushaj was unable to be reached for comment when called at his home and cell phone this afternoon.
Keep checking michigandaily.com this afternoon and this weekend for continued updates.





















