MD

Sports

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Advertise with us »

After off-ice incident, Yost Ice Arena to implement increased security measures

BY COURTNEY RATKOWIAK AND JULIE ROWE

Published January 29, 2009

Correction appended: An earlier version of this story incorrectly reported that the CCHA statement said that the University will increase the number of policemen and security guards at Yost. The University will be increasing the security and police presence at the arena. Additionally, an earlier version of this story said that there were typically DPS officers standing near the locker room. This was inaccurate.

Five days after the parent of a Michigan hockey player was given a trespass order due to an off-ice incident in the visitor's locker room, the Central Collegiate Hockey Association announced the implementation of increased security measures at Yost Ice Arena.

Throughout the season, the visitor’s locker room, located on the south side of the arena, was expanded with temporary walls and curtains to give teams more space.

Starting at this Saturday’s game against Notre Dame, the University will increase the police and security presence at Yost, according to a statement from the CCHA released yesterday.

The University will also require credentials to enter the visitor’s locker room and will have the “ability to utilize an overhead steel door between the locker-room area and spectator walkway,” according to the press release.

The new measures come after last Saturday's incident. Bruce Kampfer, father of Michigan hockey player Steve Kampfer, is now banned from most University buildings as a result of a confrontation with a Michigan State player in the visitor's locker room.

With less than a minute left in Saturday's game, Steve Kampfer was hit from behind by now-former Michigan State forward Andrew Conboy. As Kampfer lay unconscious on the ice, now-former Michigan State forward Corey Tropp slashed Kampfer in the head and neck. Bruce Kampfer's off-ice reaction occurred minutes after that on-ice attack.

“I was in the locker room pacing,” Tropp told the Sioux Falls Argus Leader in an interview yesterday. “I sat down, and probably 20 seconds after getting there, his dad came sprinting in. He exchanged some words with me and we were wrestling around a little. We had each other’s arms tied up.”

DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said a 48-year-old Jackson man, whom Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson later identified as Bruce Kampfer, was given a trespass order after the incident.

All individuals who are given trespass orders are not allowed to enter University buildings, with the exception of University Hospital.

"There is an appeals process that the individual can go through," Brown said.

University Police sent the results of their investigation of the incident to prosecutors yesterday, and the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's office will determine if charges will be filed against Bruce Kampfer.

In addition to implementing increased security measures, the Michigan Athletic Department made it clear in an e-mail message to season ticket holders yesterday that profane language and gestures will not be tolerated from Yost spectators.

As Kampfer lay unconscious on the ice after Saturday night’s incident, the Michigan student section angrily chanted “Fuck you State” for more than 10 minutes.

The obscene chant was clearly heard on television, and in the e-mail message, the Michigan Athletic Department emphasized the importance of good behavior during Saturday’s game against Notre Dame.

“We want to make sure our opponents and the television crowd see and hear Yost rock,” the e-mail said. “With that being said, we believe the fan conduct last week was not appropriate to Michigan standards and will not be tolerated in the future. The actions on the ice do not excuse what was heard or displayed.”

- Trevor Calero contributed to this report.